The 2020 Winter Thaw Conference in Billings, Montana on February 22nd, 2020 will bring together land and agriculture industry leaders and experts for a full day of presentations, workshops and area tours.
Andy Rahn from Montana Land Source will be participating in the Tips for Adding Profit to Your Ranch workshop with a presentation called "Better Understanding of Land Values.”
The event is co-hosted by Montana Farmers Union, Montana Cattlewomen, Montana Agri-Women, Montana Women Involved in Farm Economics, and the United States Cattlemen's Association in conjunction with the Montana Agriculture Trade Exposition (MATE).
Saturday, February 22, 2020
7:00 AM: Breakfast & Welcome Remarks
7:30 AM: Women in Ranching Panel by Western Landowners Alliance
9:00 AM: Tips for Adding Profit to Your Ranch
- Nic De Castro, LandTrust “Unlock access to private land for hunting & fishing.”
- Andy Rahn, Montana Land Source “Better understanding of land values.”
- Kate Vogel, North40Ag “Cover & forage crops: value in every seed along the way.”
- Barry Ellis,Ellis Livestock “If you find yourself in a rut, better examine the rut.”
10:00 AM: Introduction to Commodity Hedging & Risk Management
- Brett Crosby, Beef Basis “Solve today's market uncertainties.”
- Jamey Kohake, Paragon Ag Advisors “2020 Market Outlook”
- Tait Berlier, Ag Risk Advisors “One Goal, Many Approaches: Simplifying Risk Management”
11:30 AM: Lunch at Walker's Grill
- Attendees hear from Cattlemen's Beef Board Member JaredBrackett about their efforts to increase value and demand for beef.
1:00 PM: Shuttle to Montana Agri-Trade Exposition (MATE) - Metra Arena
1:30 PM: Beef Quality Assurance Livestock Handling Workshop.
- Bill Pelton will lead his renowned livestock handling class ina classroom setting at the MATE.
4:00 PM: Shuttle departs for PAYS Livestock Auction
5:00 PM: Cattle Market Power Hour - PAYS Livestock Auction. Leading cattle industry thought leaders debate the factorsaddressing the current cattle marketplace – and how toaddress them.
Featured speakers include:
- USDA Under Secretary Greg Ibach
- Kayla Sargent, Western Ag Reporter
- Justin Tupper, Vice President,U.S. Cattlemen's Association
- Corbitt Wall, Feeder Flash, DV Auction
- Lee Reichmuth, Cattle Market Analyst
- Mike Schwarck, Director, Iowa Cattlemen’s Association
7:00 PM: Live Auction Fundraiser.
- Featured items from Big Country Genetics, Rand's Hats, Montague's Jewelers, MARS of Billings, Al's Bootery & more!
7:45 PM: Shuttle departs for The Northern Hotel